Club racing is held throughout the year for dinghies, keelboats and catamarans including a youth only start. Please see table below for start information for the racing fleets. Racing takes place on Sunday mornings all year, Sunday Afternoon every other week (see dates below) Saturday Afternoon and Wednesday evenings. Saturday April through September and Wednesday evening are April through August based around daylight.
For more information on the fleets we race please contact the fleet captains HERE
Sunday Morning Series
This club series continues throughout the year divided into five series approximately as follows:-
- Winter Series – End November to the first Sunday in March
- Spring Series – Second Sunday of March to end of May
- Summer Series – First Sunday of June to end of August
- Autumn Series – First Sunday of September to December
The first start is not before 10:25am with 2 races back to back. There are 4 starts for each race with the classes split into groups as defined in the table above. Courses are defined in the sailing instructions and will be represented by flags detailed in the sailing instructions.
Wednesday Evening Series
The Wednesday evening series is a single start multi series format starting 7:30pm. As a warm up for the Wednesday evening series there are 2 fun races starting at 7:00pm and the series ends with a fun race at 7:00pm.
The DWSC Wednesday Evening Series is traditionally one of the most popular racing series in the club. It is intended as an informal and fun event to encourage new people to race. Please see below some notes on how the series will be run in 2017 (click on the link)
The Wednesday evening series is split into Rising Sun and Setting Sun with prizes for each and the week of the Summer Solstice we have a special event to mark the longest days.
Program for 2017
19th April – Fun Race
26th April – Fun Race
4th May – Start of Rising Sun Series
21st June – End of Rising Sun Series
28th June – Start of Setting Sun Seriess
16th August – End of Setting Sun Series
23rd August- Fun Race
Sunday Afternoon Series (Start 7th May)
For those wanting to build their racing experience away from the cut-and-thrust of Sunday morning, the club has introduced Sunday afternoon racing. You recently received an email telling you all about it. In brief, three fleets FF, Wayfarer and Lasers plus our junior 20 knot squad. Starts at 2pm finish 3.30. Debrief in the bar.
We are looking for all and any of the following to join in:
- Members who want to gain race experience and build their confidence
- Experienced members willing to share knowledge with less experienced sailors in their Wayfarer/ Flying Fifteen or to provide coaching
- Members wanting to develop coaching/ race management/ safety coxswain skills – and parents of 20kt sailors interested getting active while their kids are enjoying themselves
- This Girl Can attendees wanting even more fun
- Those unable to make it to the club for Sunday morning
At the end of the series we will be awarding prizes (on a totally subjective basis!) including to the most improved sailor/ race team member/ coach – and maybe some fun ones too